8TH SOUTH SHIELDS
The 8th Company is the oldest in the South Shields Battalion still in existence, having run continuously since 1900. They were originally based at Laygate, however moved with the congregation when the old church building was knocked down. Founded by Capt. Frank H. Hornsby, who was also active in helping the Brigade establish a firm footing in the town, the Company has grown over the years, and has around 60 active young people.
Today, the 8th Company is about 60 strong in total, operating all four sections, but no Girls' Association. They go on regular annual camps, as well as hosting occasional sleepovers and other residentials closer to home. For most of the year, all sections operate from the Baptist Tabernacle church, at Horsley Hill, whilst during the summer months, the Junior, Company and Senior sections have a programme of outdoor sports on the Leas, near Marsden.